No doubt we’ve all heard that we only use 10% of our brains. This always seemed peculiar to me because why would we have been given a brain the size we have and only use 10% and it is only natural to think so how do I improve on that statistic. But that statement was never followed up with an explanation about what the other 90% was up to. And again, we know that we have a subconscious mind, but it is only through these readings that it has become clear that the elusive 90% resides in the subby. So it’s not that we have been lazy or complacent saying that I do very nicely thank you with my 10% because that isn’t all we actually use in fact. Whilst the bossy boots 10% is giving orders the subby is saying yes sir, no sir, your wish is my command sir and following the instructions from the 10% and is very busy indeed because apart from acting on our conscious instructions it also has to be on auto-pilot with regards to all the automatic functions that keep us alive. I’m exhausted just thinking about it. Hence the need to be vigilant.
We’ve all said when we have a problem ‘I’ll sleep on it’ without actually giving any thought to what it means. And we learn from Haanel in 2 that:
The subconscious can and will solve any problem for us if we know how to direct it. The subconscious processes are always at work;
And herein lies the key as he says in 5:
We can consciously use all the desirable characteristics with which we have been provided and we can repress and refuse to allow the undesirable ones to manifest.
So although we might feel that we’re on a runaway train we can look at the problem objectively if we only control our panic and calm down. It is usually at this point where we give up the struggle and say ‘I’ll sleep on it’ leaving the subby to provide us with an answer when we wake.
It is brilliant that we have this inner intelligence but we mustn’t abrogate our responsibilities. Saying that’s me, that’s just the way I am, is a cop out, because it’s not. We have all been subject to many influences in our lives and have accepted these false premises as facts but as Haanel explains in 8:
This, then, is the way we are consistently creating and recreating ourselves; we are today the result of our past thinking, and we shall be what we are thinking today, the Law of Attraction is bringing to us, not the things we should like, or the things we wish for, or the things someone else has, but it brings us “our own,” the things which we have created by our thought processes, whether consciously or unconsciously. Unfortunately, many of us are creating these things unconsciously.
It’s scary if you buy into the belief that you can’t do anything about the way you think or the way you are because the Law of Attraction is working all the time whether you believe it or not, or like it or not. It is a fundamental Law like the Law of Gravity and we all believe in that one because if you step off the step ladder the wrong way you’re going to hit the ground and maybe break your leg.
But he offers hope and a solution in 12:
These are psychological facts; there is no theory or guesswork about these thinking processes; there is nothing secret about them; in fact, they are so plain that everyone can understand them. The thing to do is to have a mental house-cleaning, and to have this house-cleaning every day, and keep the house clean. Mental, moral and physical cleanliness are absolutely indispensable if we are to make progress of any kind.
That mental house-cleaning is the job of the guardian at the gate. But it is an ongoing process that we need to perform daily if we are ever to become the master of our own destiny. And in 16 he says:
To gain this estate, three processes are necessary. You must earnestly desire it. You must assert your claim. You must take possession.
In other words, Ask, Believe, Receive.
This responsibility seems overwhelming because we have to face up to the fact that there are no excuses because:
If then the spirit is all there is, upon the recognition of this fact must depend the ability to demonstrate all power, whether physical, mental or spiritual.
And so you have it – the buck stops here!